Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Effects of Setting

"As I looked about me I felt that the grass was the country, as the water is the sea. The red of the grass made all the great prairie the colour of wine-stains, or of certain seaweeds when they are first washed up. And there was so much motion in it; the whole country seemed, somehow, to be running."
            In My Anotnia, the setting helps show the place in time where this story took place. In this time, characters may act differently than what many would preceive as normal. The setting of My Antonia is a prarie-like landscape where the inhabitants of the land must grown acustomed to the life of a farmer. The Shimerdas are a farming family and commonly find themselves struggling to maintain a steady supply of vegetation and materials. Without the technology of today, the Shimerdas have grown strong family ties amongst each other. The Shimerdas are not alone. Their neighbors also fued with them and causes turmoil and stress upon the daily lives of the Shimerdas. Antonia develops and strong work ethic and determination. She becomes very mature and learns the responsibilities of growing up on the prarie.
             My bed room brings a sense of peace and tranquility to the clouds of my mind. It allows a safe barrier to be established between me and the chaotic outside world. A shelter where I may lay upon my troubled head and simply sleep away a day's stress. A place where I may rest and rejuvenate my long lost energy. Time in and out, I greet my bedroom with anxiousness. My bedroom becomes my sanctuary like that of a cathedral, where I know that I'm safe in the arms of the lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment